Pages

Friday 25 September 2020

Antarctic Centre - Recount

 On Friday 4th of September, the 10 ESOL class went on a class trip at Antarctic Centre with Mrs Flores, Ms Briggs and Mrs Handley by a taxi van. 


At first, we started school as usual. We went into our own form class and waited for period one to come. When the bell rang, period one started and that is when we went to the front of the learning commons to meet up. As we waited for everyone to come, we got to choose which car we wanted to ride on and all of us were already to go.


When we got to the Antarctic Center, we waited for a certain person to come who would help us with our class trip. Then she came, she introduced herself to us and her name is ‘Jane’. After introducing herself, she took us to the workshop. As we walked towards the workshop, I thought the Antarctic Centre was cold but it’s not. Then we reached the workshop, Miss Briggs handed us some bookwork to answer. Then Jane told us about Antarctic’s history. She talked for 40 minutes and I kinda feel bored and my back hurts because as she talks, we note things down without a table. She also asked us some questions about things that she’s talking about. Then she told us its time to move in the Hagglunds, it's whether we leave our bags there or bring it with us, but I left mine there cause I think its too troublesome to bring it.


After she talked, she took us outside and spoke a little bit about the ‘Hagglund’. Hagglund is a type of car that is often used in icy places. But the place we’re going isn’t ice, it's a muddy place. Before we rode the Hagglund, she told us that people with bones or spinal problems can’t ride it because the car moves too much. Then we went inside the Hagglund and put our belts on. I thought it was just gonna be a normal ride but when the car started moving, I didn’t expect that it would move like that, it’s too wiggly. I found it funny though because I don’t really get to ride things like that. Then, there’s this big cliff waiting for us to go down, the Hagglund’s driver made the car go faster and I never thought that Hagglund would be that fun. As we fell down the cliff, everyone was shouting and laughing because of the shock in our bodies. 10 minutes passed and the ride ended, we all want to do it again because it's fun and we don’t get to ride Hagglunds everyday. 


Right after we’ve finished riding the Hagglunds, we waited for everyone to finish their ride too. Then, Jane told us that we’re going to the penguins next. I’ve never seen a penguin before so I was expecting to see a big penguin. When we arrived at the penguins, I couldn't see any and I was wondering why. All I see is water, then the keeper suddenly starts talking while feeding the penguins some fishes. The penguins are so small, they are called ‘little blue penguins’. They are the smallest types of penguins, but I’m not that disappointed that I didn’t get to see some big penguins like the emperor ones because they are kind of appealing. It’s cool how they’re small but still manage to eat a full fish in one go. While watching the penguins eating, the keeper told us that the oldest penguin they had in the Antarctic Centre was 25 years old but the penguin died. Now the oldest one they have there is 17 years old and taking care properly of them. She also told us that the penguins are often injured because boats accidentally hit them because they are small. While she’s saying that, I can see that some penguins have broken arms and legs, I feel pity for them because I don’t think they deserve to be injured. Then, while the keeper is talking, Jane suddenly picked us up and told us that we’re moving on to the next activity. 


The next activity is the 4D movie. Its only 8 minutes long but the place really looks like a real cinema. Before we got to pick our own sits, Jane gave us some glasses to wear. I don’t know why we need to wear one but I think it will be fun. She told us that the movie is about a journey in the Antarctic. Then, the movie began, I never thought that they also have special things where wind and water goes to make the movie more realistic. The movie just started and it really looks real. The ice in the movie looks real, the water, the people, the ship, everything looks real, they move like what you really see in real life. Then some splash of water hits our faces, it was fun because they made you feel like you’re really in the Antarctic. While watching the movie, I removed my glasses and put it back, looking at the difference between with and without glasses. The movie sounds soothing because Antarctic looks so peaceful. After watching the movie, I kinda want to watch it again because it feels good like I never thought such a place exist. 


When we got outside, she told us it's freetime. We got to do anything we want, but before that, she told us that there are also different people in the Antarctic Centre so she told us not to be careful. Also before our freetime, she told us to meet in the storm room because that’s the next activity that we will do. Then I went upstairs to get my lunch in my bag and went down again to the cafeteria to go where my other classmates are. Some bought food in the cafeteria and some have their own lunch. After we ate our lunch, we walked around the Antarctic Centre because we got nothing to do. We went back where the penguins are, and went to the places we’ve never been. 


Our lunch ended and we all met in the storm room. Storm room is the only cold place in the Antarctic Centre. Before we went inside, there’s a water filled with ice where you can put your hands to test how long you’ll survive in Antarctic’s water. I put my hand inside, and it's not that cold because my body feels warm and the cold water feels nice in my hands. I remove my hand from the water because I don’t want it to be numb. Then before we go inside the storm room, she told us that we have to put some shoe covers because it's slippery inside. We all put some shoe covers and hastily went inside. It is cold there and I can see some ice in my feet. There’s also some iglo to help people hide and some unfunctioned car. Then, I saw a fan there where you can make the place colder, I pressed the button and the wind was so cold. It hit my face so hard and made my face numb fast, but I got used to it so it kinda feels refreshing. Then the lights are slowly darkening. I feel excited because I want to feel what Antarctic feels like. Then, the lights are totally off, it’s almost dark that it will really make you feel like you're in the Antarctic. Wind blows, everyone shouted, it feels like when I pressed the fan but this time, it hits your full body. Some people are hiding in the iglo because the wind is so strong. It’s cold but I’m glad that my clothes protected me and kept me warm. Some remove their jackets, I don’t why they did that though, maybe it's not cold enough for them? The wind remains strong, I hid in the iglo to make myself a little warm, but I realized that the wind is the one that is cold. After that, I went outside the iglo for fun. The cold is bearable though so I managed to stay outside the iglo. Minutes pass and the lights are turning back to normal, so the wind is too. It took several minutes for the lights to go back to normal. Storm room ended and we went outside and I felt hot because we’re in the cold then suddenly going to a warm place. Then Jane told us that the storm room is what it feels like summer in the Antarctic. I was shocked when I heard that because it’s cold and I wonder what winter feels like. Then the next activity started. 


The exploration room is the last activity that we did. That is where we answer all the questions from the book that Ms. Briggs handed us. Some are working on their books and some are taking pictures. I rested there because the storm room made me tired. 


It’s 1:00 pm and it's time to go back to school. I don’t want to go to school at that time yet, I still want to ride the Hagglund again and go to the storm room. The vans are waiting for us outside and that’s when our school trip to the Antarctic Centre ends.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.