Pages

Friday 5 April 2019

The Behaviour of Matter - Diffusion

The Behaviour of Matter  -  Observing Diffusion

Aim:  To observe diffusion in a liquid

Method:

1. Half fill your petri dish with cold tap water.

2. Place the petri dish on your work bench and allow the water to become settled.

3. Using the tweezers, place a single crystal of potassium permanganate in the centre of the petri dish.

4. Observe for 5 minutes.

5. Repeat the experiment using hot water.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Observations:  

In cold water:  The KMnO, slowly diffuses into the water turning it purple.

In hot water:  The KMnO, rapidly diffuses into the water.

Explanation:  The particles in hot water are moving about more quickly than the particles in the cold water. This increased particle movement increases the rate of diffusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.