Pages

Friday 21 August 2020

Chapter 22 - Children of Blood and Bone

CHAPTER 22

I pause for a moment, aghast at the number of them filling the narrow path.

Before today, I caught only glimpses of the laborers brought in to staff the

palace—always pleasant, clean, groomed to Mother’s satisfaction. Like Binta, I

thought they lived simple lives, safe within the palace walls. I never considered

where they came from, where else they might have ended up,

“Skies…” It’s almost too hard to bear the sight. Mostly diviners, the laborers

outnumber the villagers by hordes, dressed in nothing but tattered rags. Their

dark skin blisters under the scorching sun, marred by the dirt and sand

seemingly burned into their beings. Each is hardly more than a walking

skeleton.


A message I take from this scene is that reality is harsher than what you expect and you might see some things that you taught they are in a good condition but they are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.