Pages

Friday 22 May 2020

Oil of Wintergreen Experiment

Aim: To get a crystal

Equipment: beaker, bunsen burner, tripod, test tube, gauze mat, measuring cylinder, heat mat

Method:
1. Weigh 0.25 grams of salicylic acid into a 10-15 cm test tube.
2. Add 2.0 mL of methanol to the test tube and swirl until the solid dissolves.
3. Slowly add 10 drops of sulfuric acid.
4. Place the test tube in a hot water bath and secure by using a utility clamp and heat for 15 minutes.
5. Cool the test tibe in running water.
6. Smell the contents by wafting (wave a hand over the top of the test tibe to direct any fumes) and record any observations.

What happened?
- we didn't get the thing we're supposed to have and ended up as a black liquid.

What should it look like?
- it should look like a crystal

What could we change/try?
- change the amount of the acid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.