Pages

Tuesday 30 July 2019

Testing for Protein - The Biuret Test

                                                    Testing for Protein  -  the Biuret Test

Aim:  To test is a sample of food contains protein.

Equipment:  test tube, sodium hydroxide (NaOH), copper sulfate (CuSO4), food sample (milk).

Method: 

1. Place about 2 mL of the sample into a test tube and add 5 drops of sodium hydroxide.

2. Add 5 drops of copper sulfate.

3. Shake the test tube gently from side to side.

Results:  If the solution remains blue, then no protein is present. If the solution changes to a purple colour then protein is present in the sample.

Discussion:  The Biuret test is based on the ability of Cu (II) ions to form a  violet-coloured protein after you heat the food.

Pictures:

Egg

Before heating:                              After heating:


Milk

Before heating:                            After putting the Biuret:           After heating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.